Thursday 18 July 2013

A Review of the book “Keep the Change” by Nirupama Subramanian


Chick lit transmogrifies into my favorite genre when I am really bogged down with a hell lot of work or when the blue bugs bite me hard. And on one such bloody blue (no I am not a cricket fanatic and it isn't bleed blue), almost a self-imposed remorseful day with a whale of a hole in my pocket when I went on a book shopping binge I picked up this delectable looking chick lit by debutante author Nirupama Subramanian beckoningly titled “Keep the Change”. I was absolutely looking forward to a bewitching escape from the gloomy mood I had called upon myself.
I was all geared up for the go with a tub full of strawberry ice-cream and a macro Milky bar.
While I was rotting here in my room, B. Damayanthi, the protagonist was rotting somewhere in Chennai, the reason being slightly more serious in her case. The menacing sound of the impending marriage bell was ringing hard and the greasy-haired, sambar-fed suitors (suckers would be more apt though) weren't making it any easier for the 2 year old poor Damayanthi (her age wasn't doing any good either). But when the going gets tough, the tough gets going. And so did Damayanthi. To save herself from the catastrophe she resorts to finding a voguish job befitting her “consistent track record of achieving academic excellence”. And soon enough she lands herself a sassy banker job and off she flies to Mumbai to put an end to her fight with marriage. And soon began the fight with herself.
The 356 page saga is at times racy and at other times downbeat; a mix of very good, good and not-so-good moments. Some gory details could have been omitted. A 250 page action packed novel could have done some real wonder. However, the ending did some wonder of course. It made up for all the sluggish pages that I could not wait turning. It was one of the high (the highest really) points of the entire story.
The characterizations were vivid. I could almost see Damayanthi and her team of soldiers. The language could not have got any better; a perfect balance of artistry and lucidity.
At one or two occasions the facts got jumbled up; natural when you attempt to write a 356 page epic. Justifiable and forgivable too.
Overall a good read. You really don’t keep anything back when you finish page no 356. But you have no qualms either. B. Damayanthi is forgettable but enjoyable at the same time. I wouldn't suggest you to go for the plunge and neither will I stop you if you eventually decide to take it.


No comments:

Post a Comment